Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Julian of Norwich "Revelations of Divine Love"

As the guest exclaimed at the Marriage Feast at Cana when Jesus turned the water into wine, "Surely you have saved the best for last!" This is my response to Julian of Norwich. I have throughly enjoyed reading and studying it for my presentation Thursday 21 April 2005. I was interested in several issues. First, Julian's repeated declarations that she believes "what Holy church teaches, for in all things I saw this blessed showing of our Lord as one who is in the presence of God, and I never peceived anything in it that bewilders me or keeps me from the true teaching of Holy Church" (11). She first mentions this in Chapter 6 (ST) and again in Chapter 16 (ST), saying "God showed me the very great pleasure he takes in men and women who strongly and humbly and eagerly receive the preaching and teach of Holy Church; for he is Holy Church; he is the foundation; he is the substance" (24). It appears to me that not only circumvents charges of heresy but she claims authority for her revelations, or as she put it, "showings." Second, I was interested in the way her requests and God's showings so frequently appear in threes. This seems to me to fit in with the recurring emphasis on the Trinity. Third, the coherence and comprehensiveness of her understanding of the "showings." They seem to "hang together" and build from showing to showing. The Long Text (LT) provides such a richness of reinterpretation as in the 5th showing where she laughs during the revelation of the Passion defeating the Fiend, and states "it pleases him [Christ] that we should laugh to cheer ourselves, and rejoice in God because the Fiend has been conquered" (13). It brought to mind the chapel with Rodney Howard Brown. She expands on this in the Long Text, saying "I wished that all my fellow Christians had seen what I saw and then they would all have laughed with me" (61) and develops the theme of the sorrow of men that the devil caused will be turned to joy on the Judgement Day and the sorrow he "would have liked to bring them will go with him eternally to hell" (62). Fourth, the emphasis on Jesus as our Mother who in his humility and gentleness sustains us with himself and the connection with the holy sacrament. Our text notes that this is "no literary conceit but a reflection of medieval scientific understanding that milk is reprocessed blood" (xxii). Finally, I saw clearly what Aimee mentioned in class concerning Julian transmuting the courtly ideal into the a spiritual truth as Julian mentions Christ's "courtesy." I would be interesting in seeing responses to any of these topics or of course, any aspect of Julian's writing that stood out to you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jana Swartwood said...

Lady Julian's insights are profound, and I regret that my comments here will not do them full justice. I think my favorite section, probably because I find it most comforting of all of them, is where she deals with the idea that "all manner of things shall be well" (85). She is not the first to grapple with the idea of whether evil deeds or events can ever come to some sort of good, but her discussion is, to me, quite lucid. She is given comfort in the fact that God is concerned not just with large matters but with the small; "the smallest thing shall not be forgotten" (85). Yet how can this be? It's so hard for us to see it. And at this very moment, in the middle of writing one last paper and studying for this exam, after a crazy couple of months working on an overwhelmingly big project for my job, and very little sleep all-around (something to which I know you can all relate), I find myself clinging to this hope: that all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well. God is in control. And while we may not understand our circumstances or know how we will get out of them, we know that God does indeed work all things together for the good of those who love Him. We might, like Julian, not know what that good might show itself to be, and we may never see the fruit of God's involvement in our situation, but we can hold onto this hope nonetheless--that we are like the hazelnut in His hand--made, loved, and cared for--even if we do not possess the capacity to understand such things as why or how.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home